Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Remaining books, 164

I made a list of a dozen or so books that I was particularly keen on reading at some point in 2017 towards the end of 2016. Most of these books were on the longer side, 600 pages or more, so I took that into account when I made my reading goal for 2017. The real question is whether I would actually read those books. Remarkably enough, I have read a few of them. One of the first books I read this year, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, is on that list (with a check mark next to it now). The last three books that I've read since finishing The Reef are also on the list (with check marks). I made it through The Goldfinch. I have some thoughts on that book sitting in my drafts. I may put it out here some day. After months of reading a few pages here and there, I finally made it through The Radicalism of the American Revolution. That is a fascinating but rather dry book. It was tough to read, but I'm very happy that I put in the effort. I've also knocked off another Modern Library 100 book. I read Deliverance. It's short but rather brutal.

I picked up Tender is the Night after finishing Deliverance. It's another shorter book that also happens to be a Modern Library 100. It's a very quick and pleasant read. I'd like to get through it this week, but I may not find the time to get it wrapped up. I will definitely be finished with it by this time next week.

Looking at my list of 2017 Aspirations, I can see a couple of possibilities for what to take on next. Mistborn 3 is an attractive choice. The third book in Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is being released in November. I consume those as audiobooks so I can get it without compromising on my no new books pledge (I would have added it as an exception if I had read the print versions of the first two volumes). Wrapping up another story from the Cosmere would be a good way to build up to the new audiobook (all 50 hours of it). The Kingkiller Chronicles are also on that list. I've been meaning to read those books for awhile but I just haven't been motivated to take on another fantasy series with big fat books.

I have another challenging book going on in the background. I'm a few days into An Outline of a Theory of Practice. A dozen or so pages in and things still make sense. It's not quite 200 pages so I could make it through the book in a couple of months at my 5 or 6 pages a day pace. We'll see what my mornings look like once we settle into a new morning routine catching buses for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment