Monday, April 2, 2018

Dragonflight - Book 12 of the year

I've had my fill of Anne McCaffery. The book was average at best. I have read some excellent books that were much lower on that NPR list. This one was a solid dud. The principle components of the story are solid, but the execution was just so impatient and poorly developed. Events just happen. There is very little build-up or suspense. The big reveal of why so many of the other places are empty is satisfying, but the payoff is less than it could have been. It's all stiff and impatient and just poorly crafted. At least it was short.

Dragonflight marks the 42 NPR Sci Fi/Fantasy book that I've read from the list. That's the same number of Modern Library Top 100 that I have read. I've read 7 of the NPR books this year. I've read 1 of the Modern Library books. I would guess that I have a better chance of finishing the Modern Library list first. There are still 215 books on the NPR list for me to read (lots of series in that list). Side note, I already own 1 of those books. Just 1. Dragonflight aside, I've been pleased with the books on both of the lists so I have no reservations to keep using them as a source of solid reading material.

I should finish Virginia at War, 1862 by the end of the week. A family trip to DC for some baseball and museums may interfere a bit with my reading, but that's not a bad thing. Some desperately needed sleep may cut into my reading time tonight, and my kids being home with me in the morning could slow down my before work reading progress. I guess that leaves Tuesday night as the only real chunk of reading time before the trip. Well, maybe I will be able to read a bit in the hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment