Thursday, May 14, 2020

Mid May isn't so bad

So much for not buying any books this year. Thanks thriftbooks.com. I checked out the site after seeing a picture that somebody posted of a photograph stuck in a book that was just delivered. I had read a column about some book that dealt with European revolutions. Was that book available on this thriftbooks site? Yep, it was under $5. In the shopping cart. What about that big Jefferson bio, the 6 volume one? Volume 1 is on the site, also for under $5. I sat on those a few days, added a history of jazz by this guy I heard on the Conversations with Tyler podcast who has a good Twitter a few days later, and finally gave in and made the purchase. I blame the coronavirus. I have so little going on in my life right now. I just wanted something to look forward to (and I always look forward to new books being delivered).

A big part of the book being delivered fun is tracking their progress from wherever they originate to my door. All three of these shipped from different places so that makes it three times the fun! I was looking at the European revolution book and noticed that I bought book 2 rather than volume 1. Whoops. No problem. Volume 1 is on the site and also under $5. I get free shipping if I spend more than $10. I found a book from this list of contemporary books over 500 pages worth reading and added to more books to my haul. So much for my new low. I'm not really bothered by it at all. 

That list of long books worth reading also provided my introduction to my most recent finished book. Life After Life. I got it from the library. It took me a few chapters to get into the flow, but once I picked up on the structure, the book really started to resonate with me. The whole killing Hitler thing is a bit cliche, but it's kind of done and discarded so it's not really the center of the book. Urusula leads a few very painful lives. It's not all roses (well, she also dies frequently so there's that). It was a worthy read. The list held up for my first book selected (I have read a few already on the list, including the recently finished Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, so I knew that the taste level was pretty high. It's not a list I will be pursuing in completion though. I already have enough reading projects ongoing. 

I guess we can add the Malone bio to the list of reading projects, although that may be a bit premature as I only acquired the first book a few hours ago. It's fun to embark on a new reading project. I guess the ones worth doing get finished and the bad ideas get dropped. I haven't read one of the Modern Library books in over a year. Thanks to Drizzt, I'm still chipping away at the NPR list. The 21st Century Canon and that long books worth reading list have a few overlaps (like Middlesex, a book that constantly pops up as something worth reading that I just haven't gotten around to yet, I bet it's on thriftbooks.com). I expect that I will keep whittling those lists down over time. At least they can't get any bigger. 

A brief update before I go on the audiobook realm of my book life. I have stuck with Alexander Hamilton. It's a surprisingly engaging book given that it's a biography. The fact that he emerges as Jefferson's rival (and that he just leads an interesting life that has been told well in Chernow's hands) makes the book an interesting counter to my other readings. I hit a bit of a dreary section in the post-War years, but I have been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack on my runs and that has shown me what lies ahead if I can push through Hamilton's early career as a lawyer. The book and musical are nicely reinforcing so the songs provide a fun way to review what I've heard while giving me a sense of what's to come. Maybe I'll finish it before all this COVID BS resolves itself (I will be surprised if I I finish it in a world that looks similar to what we were in a few months ago).

Book Shelf Zero: 147

No comments:

Post a Comment