Saturday, March 4, 2017

Plenty of rowing and running, but not much reading

I'm 4 for 4 on the Mud Madness Challenge. I've also maintained my running workouts. A 6 mile run and 5000 m of rowing is a pretty significant amount of exercise in one day. I'm getting in the workouts, but the quality of those workouts may be suffering a bit. I'm taking it easy when I'm rowing, but all that exertion still builds up. My run today was at my intended pace, I did 6 miles at just under 9 minutes a mile, but meeting my target pace may be  more difficult as I get deeper into the month. I remember struggling to get in the 5000 m one night and easily doing 5000 m in a close to PR time the next night the last time I tried to do this Mud Madness thing. (The last time I tried was in 2013.  I rowed my best 5000 m ever in early April. There is no doubt that all the rowing in March built up my fitness to the point where I could do 5000 m in 18:29.6. I'm still looking to break 19 minutes this year.) It may be more beneficial to do fewer workouts with higher intensity, but that's not the challenge. The Mud Madness Challenge is all about volume. I'm going to keep pouring it on.

I will not be finishing another book anytime soon. I'm halfway through A Time of Gifts. With a concentrated effort, I can make it through 10% of that book a day. At that pace, I could it finished before next weekend. I may take that shot. It's just dragging so much. I have no time to read To the Lighthouse. I read in the morning twice this week. I had a doctor's appointment on Monday, I used my Tuesday reading time on a different project, I rowed Wednesday, I managed to read a few page son Thursday, and I had to hustle in to work after running Friday morning. I'm shooting for 3 solid morning reading sessions next week. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Getting to the halfway point of that book would be good progress.

I'm surprised that I've stuck with my beer on Saturday only rule. I was tempted to have one last night, but I was pretty tired and went to bed kind of early for a Friday. I'm working on my second beer of the day right now. That will be it for the day. I keep wanting to have a four or five beer Saturday, but it just doesn't seem to work out that way. Oh well, fewer beers means fewer calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment