Thursday, December 22, 2016

Race to 52 - 9 days remaining

I spent so much time in the airport Monday night I was able to finish Drive. That gets me up to 49 books complete. That's a positive step. Tuesday was pretty much shot as I was totally spent after my 21 hour long Monday. I did a little bit of reading, but it was not very much progress towards finishing The Caine Mutiny. I still haven't picked up Swann's Way since last Thursday. It's been a week. Nine days doesn't sound like much, I really need to get cracking!

The Caine Mutiny was not a very strategic choice. It's a very good book, but it's so damn long. I was at the 56 % mark when I started reading last night. It took me 30 minutes or so of reading to get to 60%. I could have read much more of it yesterday but every time I pick up my phone to get in a few pages I end up playing Mario Run. I finished all the levels last night and unlocked Yoshi. I really wanted to unlock some new characters. With that accomplished, I hope the temptation to play the game will be reduced. If I fail to reach 52 books for the year, I'm not sure if I'll blame my decision to read The Caine Mutiny, my horrible trip to NJ Monday, or Mario Run.

My off days have also been much more fragmented than I anticipated. Dropping kids off, picking kids up, running errands, all that stuff takes time. I've done very little reading during the day. Trying to get in meters to finish the rowing holiday challenge has taken plenty of time as well. I have some solid chunks of time today, but I have a bunch of little chores to take care of around the house. I need to clean the cat box, empty the dishwasher, put away some laundry, and wrap some gifts. And I need to row for at least 30 more minutes today.

I'm back in my doubting state of mind. It's going to be touch to finish Swann's Way, The Caine Mutiny, and a third book (probably Edith Wharton's The Reef or Executive Power). I need to fill in as much time as I can reading. And that includes not spending time writing posts like this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment